The following information is intended to offer guidance to GP practice staff coming into contact with unpaid carers in Surrey. These are defined by Carers UK as someone who looks after family, a partner or friends in need of help because they are ill, frail or have a disability.
This support is not available to those who are offering care in a paid capacity.
· Holistic support for carers of all ages, including young carers.
· Includes the option of a one-off payment (see below) as well as wellbeing support by phone and/or in person and the possibility of respite care. · To refer for a carer’s prescription, go to: GP Carers Dashboard.
Personal Health Budget (formerly known as Carer Break Grant)
· Maximum £300, usually a ‘one-off’ payment at GP’s discretion
· The carer receiving the grant has to live within Surrey
· The GP surgery they are registered with has to be within NHS Surrey Heartlands · Refer for this as for a GP Carer’s Prescription, via: GP Carers Dashboard.
Where the person being cared for is a child:
The carer may also be eligible for respite care via short breaks for disabled children, see https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/children/support-and-advice/children-with-disabilities/surrey-short-breaks-for-disabled-children
Further information on the carer’s support is available at: https://www.actionforcarers.org.uk/for-professionals/general-practitioners/ (professionals)